For all you Boston Marathon lovers, a reminder that the registration process for the 2017 Boston Marathon will begin next Monday, September 12, 2016, at 10:00 a.m. ET. Hopefully you have scored your "BQ" qualifying time with a little extra time cushion, and are ready to roll!
Registration will follow the same "rolling admission" schedule it has used in recent years, allowing the fastest qualifiers in their gender and age group to register first:
- On Monday, September 12, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register.
- On Wednesday, September 14, at 10:00 a.m. ET, if space remains, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more.
- If space remains, registration will open on Friday, September 16, at 10:00 a.m. ET for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more. Registration will close on Saturday, September 17, at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- If space remains after the first week of registration (Monday, September 12, through Saturday, September 17), then registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 19, at 10:00 a.m. ET through Wednesday, September 21, at 5:00 p.m. ET. As during the first week of registration, entry during this period (Sept. 19-21) will not be first-come, first-served and the fastest qualifiers in their gender and age group among these submissions will be given entry as space allows.
- If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 26, registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards. Registration will remain open on a first-come, first-served basis until the maximum field size is reached.
|18-34||3hrs 05min 00sec||3hrs 35min 00sec|
|35-39||3hrs 10min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
|40-44||3hrs 15min 00sec||3hrs 45min 00sec|
|45-49||3hrs 25min 00sec||3hrs 55min 00sec|
|50-54||3hrs 30min 00sec||4hrs 00min 00sec|
|55-59||3hrs 40min 00sec||4hrs 10min 00sec|
|60-64||3hrs 55min 00sec||4hrs 25min 00sec|
|65-69||4hrs 10min 00sec||4hrs 40min 00sec|
|70-74||4hrs 25min 00sec||4hrs 55min 00sec|
|75-79||4hrs 40min 00sec||5hrs 10min 00sec|
|80 and over||4hrs 55min 00sec||5hrs 25min 00sec|
If you're close to these qualifying times, then you know that making the time does not guarantee entry. In 2014, you needed to beat your time by 1 minute and 35 seconds. That relaxed a bit in 2015, when you needed to have exceeded your time by 62 seconds. In 2016, you needed a 2 minute and 28 second buffer, the biggest yet...so hopefully you are feeling fast!
I'll be back again in 2017 (streak #13!), so let me know if you are planning to head to Hopkinton. Good luck!