All 10 slots (6 men, 4 women) for the 2010 US National Mountain Running Team were awarded at this race, rather than having multiple qualifiers like in previous years. I bet it made for some great all-or-nothing tactics! The team will compete in the World Mountain Running Championship this fall in Slovenia. Here's who is going:
Men:Chris Siemers, a Chicago-bred flatlander, managed to out-kick past winner Eric Blake in the final mile to win. It was Siemers' first attempt at the race. Shewarge Amare, the Women's champion, had to borrow a pair of shoes and singlet just before the race, but it didn't stop her from setting a new course record in her first attempt.
1. Chris Siemers, 29, Arvada CO, 1:00:22
2. Eric Blake, 31, New Britain CT, 1:00:40
3. Joseph Gray, 26, Lakewood WA, 1:01:31
4. Rickey Gates, 29, Woody Creek CO, 1:02:34
5. Max King, 30, Bend OR, 1:02:34
6. Tommy Manning, 34, Colorado Springs CO, 1:03:27
1. Shewarge Amare, 23, New York NY/Ethiopia, 1:08:21
2. Kristin Price, 28, Raleigh NC, 1:11:13
3. Brandy Erholtz, 32, Bailey CO, 1:12:53
4. Nicole Hunt, 40, Deer Lodge MT, 1:12:59
The press release has a lot of great details - head there for more!
Shout out to the 12 Team Inov-8 members who toed the line, Joe Gray for his outstanding performance, and Max King for making the team just one week after winning the USATF Trail Half Marathon Championships.